XFree86 3.1.2D

	I have used XFree86 3.1.2D under Slackware before, and I've got it
installed under my Debian system now. However, because of some of the ways
Debian differs, such as putting lots of stuff in /etc/X11/, I'm not quite
sure that I've got it tweaked just right. For example, I've got my
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config  (That pathname is from memory, so if it's
not quite right, suffice it to say that it is right at home) as a link to
/etc/X11/XF86Config like it is in Debian, but xf86config doesn't see that
as the default place to write the XF86Config file like it does under the
debian version of 3.1.2. This particular example is trivial, as I can just
tell it to manually place the file in /etc/X11, but I want to make sure
that I get any other changes I need to make done for it to work smoothly.

	If I knew all the differences between the debian 3.1.2 and the
standard I was thinking about making debian packages out of the 3.1.2D
files to make it easier to put it in. When I originally did it, I
uninstalled all of the 3.1.2 packages, and when I did that dselect
'suggested' that I uninstall dozens of packages that depend on X, and I
had to force it to leave them installed, as I knew I was putting a newer X
right back in. Would have been nice to be able to just upgrade to 3.1.2D
right from dselect, and I was thinking that since everything in the
release is precompiled, it'd make a good first contribution, as it should
just be a matter of changing or adding some symbolic links and maybe
modifying some of the scripts, if that's neccessary.

						Shawn Asmussen