Re: XFree86 3.1.2D

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Shawn Asmussen wrote:

> 	If I knew all the differences between the debian 3.1.2 and the
> standard I was thinking about making debian packages out of the 3.1.2D
> files to make it easier to put it in. When I originally did it, I
> uninstalled all of the 3.1.2 packages, and when I did that dselect
> 'suggested' that I uninstall dozens of packages that depend on X, and I
> had to force it to leave them installed, as I knew I was putting a newer X
> right back in. Would have been nice to be able to just upgrade to 3.1.2D
> right from dselect, and I was thinking that since everything in the
> release is precompiled, it'd make a good first contribution, as it should
> just be a matter of changing or adding some symbolic links and maybe
> modifying some of the scripts, if that's neccessary.

I think that XFree86-3.1.2D is still beta software; I'm waiting for
another version to be released before packaging it for Debian.

The file XFree86-3.1.2.tar.gz (shortly to be XFree86-3.1.2-1.tar.gz) in
the unstable/source/x11 directory has all the differences between
standard XFree86 and the Debian version in it. There are few patches to
the XFree86 code; most of the hard work has gone into the packaging.

I think that the only difference between 3.1.2 and 3.1.2D is in the
servers (and maybe in the xlib and extension libraries?) - you can put
the 3.1.2D versions of these in /usr/local/bin and things should work
reasonably well. You don't have to uninstall all the binaries in xbase.

A final point - Debian packages are not generally made from precompiled
binaries. We insist on the source package containing source and being
able to compile it easily.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk