Re: XFree86 3.1.2D

On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Stephen Early wrote:

> I think that XFree86-3.1.2D is still beta software; I'm waiting for
> another version to be released before packaging it for Debian.
>
> The file XFree86-3.1.2.tar.gz (shortly to be XFree86-3.1.2-1.tar.gz) in
> the unstable/source/x11 directory has all the differences between
> standard XFree86 and the Debian version in it. There are few patches to
> the XFree86 code; most of the hard work has gone into the packaging.
>
> I think that the only difference between 3.1.2 and 3.1.2D is in the
> servers (and maybe in the xlib and extension libraries?) - you can put
> the 3.1.2D versions of these in /usr/local/bin and things should work
> reasonably well. You don't have to uninstall all the binaries in xbase.
>
> A final point - Debian packages are not generally made from precompiled
> binaries. We insist on the source package containing source and being
> able to compile it easily.

Yes, 3.1.2D is beta software. As I understand it, since the R6.1 sources
haven't been released entirely by the X consortium though, they can't
release source for 3.1.2D yet. However, I need to run it for support for
my video card. Therefore I need to be able to run it, and I have no idea
how long it will be before they release a 3.1.3 or 3.2, or whatever.
Because source isn't available there making changes to the source in
order to support debian conventions like /etc/X11 isn't possible. I was
hoping that the changes were all in the support shell scripts. Otherwise,
I'm not quite sure how to go about putting in the changes neccessary to
make it work with everything else in Debian. I'm pretty sure that more
than the servers are affected. 3.1.2D is the first release to be R6.1,
and includes 6.1 libraries. Also the xterm supports color, and a color
xterm isn't neccessary any longer. I'm not sure what else is changed, but
I don't think just replacing the servers and libraries will work for me.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I need the support that is in 3.1.2D.
I'll take a look at the file with the differences and see if I can
incorporate enough changes to make it work comfortably, in the current
system without having to patch any of the source code, I guess... Do you
have any suggestions where problems with other packages and such will arise
where the changes aren't or can't be made?

						Shawn