Re: Disk partitioning strategy: Summary

Peter Halvorson wrote:

> Here is a summary of the replies I've received, some of which were echoed
> on the list and some not.

> /usr/local      isolate local programs from OS changes and upgrades

> /usr/local could be dropped or reduced.

Funny, the one partition you suggest to _drop_, "/usr/local", is the only
partition that I have in addition to my swap and root partitions. (Well,
/home is a link to a umsdos drive so I can get at it from DOS).

/usr/local is where I put all the programs that I collect that are not
part of the Linux distribution. Examples of mine from the past are Mosaic,
Netscape, mgetty, doom, various sound and midi programs, SVGATextMode, f77,
mirror, etc. Not to mention when I grab source distributions that are newer
than the version that came with the Linux distribution. Examples are emacs,
tcl/tk, etc.

The file system standard document seems to recommend exactly this use of
/usr/local/. When I switched from Slackware to Debian, I rebuilt the root
from scratch but then just mounted /usr/local to get all my old stuff.

If you intend to install non-debian stuff to locations other than /usr/local,
I think you're headed for trouble. This is the impression that I have, but
I need somebody else to jump in at this point and state this definitively.

--
...RickM...