X <-> cpp dependency?

Hello!

Please tell me if this is a dumb newbie question, and/or i should read
the faqs on the subject but,

I am trying to get X to start start some programs when I log in.

so I tried to start the programs from the $home/.xinitrc ,
$home/.xsession , $home/.Xsession etc etc etc,;

the result is that i get back at the login prompt. If i then read the
.xsession-errors file, it says that it could not find cpp.

so i installed the gcc package.

now the login prompt has changed, it says something like Debian/linux
and then the name of my machine. It used to say: X window system.
but it still doesn't launch my programs :-(

Does the above mean that the X system depends on cpp??.
And how do i get X to launch the programs (like xearth & an extra xterm
etc. etc.) ?

can someone answer these questions, or refer me to the appropriate
Faq's.

Thnx in advance...

ps. my window manager is fvwm.. if that's any help.