Re: X <-> cpp dependency?

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Henk Punt wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Please tell me if this is a dumb newbie question, and/or i should read
> the faqs on the subject but,
>
> I am trying to get X to start start some programs when I log in.
>
> so I tried to start the programs from the $home/.xinitrc ,
> $home/.xsession , $home/.Xsession etc etc etc,;
>
> the result is that i get back at the login prompt. If i then read the
> .xsession-errors file, it says that it could not find cpp.

This sounds as if your window manager (fvwm) is immediately crashing
probably because it cannot find a file it needs (cpp?), so it kicks you
back out to the login screen.  If it says it needs cpp, then you probably
need to download and install the cpp package.

> so i installed the gcc package.

I *think* (but I'm not sure) that I read in the description of the cpp
package that if you install gcc, then you don't need cpp.  However, I've
been upgrading to 1.1 and even after I installed gcc, something (I can't
remember what) still wouldn't work until I installed cpp too.  I could be
wrong on this as I'm just going on memory right now.  But, look into
installing cpp and then see if things work for you.

> Does the above mean that the X system depends on cpp??.
> And how do i get X to launch the programs (like xearth & an extra xterm
> etc. etc.) ?

You can launch X programs from your .fvwmrc file.  I think you can also
from .xsession (anyone?).

Gerry
gerry@blue.intele.net