Re: What linux needs (off topic)

Yes, this requires a username/password login to authorize mail to be sent.
Many providers are now eliminating SMTP relay even for their own customers
who might connect from work using SMTP. With POP3 to send mail, a person
could connect to their personal ISP and send email from outside their
ISP's dialup network.

It would be a great addition to linux as there are not many mail clients
that support this.

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Paul Wade wrote:

> Is this something that requires a valid username/password to send mail? I
> am interested in anything like this for mailing and posting control. It
> wouldn't bother me a bit if the non-linux users had to use local dialup to
> send mail or news. They can wait for Microsoft to give them a new mail
> client.
>
> On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, George Bonser wrote:
>
> > Something that linux SORELY needs is a mail client that can use the Xtnd
> > Xmit POP3 command to SEND email via POP3.  This should not be very
> > difficult to build and can make life easier for systems that must access
> > another network's mail server for email that denies external access to
> > SMTP sending for anti-spam reasons.

> + Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
> + mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +
> + http://www.greenbush.com/cds.html         Now shipping version 1.3.X +

George Bonser
Why is it that the same people that tell us that manned space flight
is a waste of money also tell us that we have been visited by aliens?