Re: the ghost of permissions past

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 00:15:00 PST, David Stern wrote:

Although I figured since I'd already rebooted and had experienced it
twice consecutively that it was permanent, but I just rebooted again
and all is well.

I think I have an idea of what's going on.  When I began using ssh I
started having some erratic behavior with X-windows (like crashing my X
server when I dropped an app titlebar a little bit off the non-virtual
edge, usually after doing something like testing an imperfect system
config file).  And I think my window manager (afterstep) is reputed to
have two rare bugs.  So, any combination of ssh and my window manager
are probably the reason for the problem.

Sorry for the help call, but the behavior was completely consistent,
I'd rebooted and previously it had been great. The one thing I didn't
consider is that the first thing I do after login is run ssh in that
one xterm. I suppose I'll have to consider alternatives to ssh and
afterstep.  That wasn't what I thought was happening.

Bah.
--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu