Re: PPP or no PPP ....

I am still using bo, but most, if not all, of my reply will be valid for
hamm too.

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Gutfraind wrote:

> During hamm installation I entered the details of my modem
> and of my ISP (IP, user, password..).
> I have started pon and have heard the modem hand-shake, but
> what's next?
> I didn't get any details of what have happened. Appearently,
> the connection was successful,
> because the modem did not disconnect.
> 1) How can I check my connection status?

Type:
/usr/sbin/ifconfig
This will show the status of ppp and eth net connections.

> I reasoned that if the connction was indeed successful,
> dselect's ftp would work.

You could have a good connection, but it your system would be unable to
resolve host names to numerical addresses unless you had nameserver access
set up correctly.  Try to ping a well known host by name.  If that doesnt
work, try by numerical address.  If you can ping by numerical address, but
not by name, your name service is prolly misconfigured.

> I used the default connection options, and dselect simply
> wrote: "failed".
> What's next?  2) What could be the problem?

To see what your chat script did, and what your ppp server said back, look
at /usr/adm/ppp.log   This location valid for bo, I dont know about hamm.

> I would like to get most of the standard packages, if not
> through debian, than by windoz'ing,
> but, 3) where, appart from dselect, I can find the list of
> the standard packages, or to know which
> packs are standard (using more than newbie educated guessing
> mechanism...)

You can see the package decriptions on the website.

Mike