Re: Partitioning/Dual Booting

* "M. Phillips" <wanderer88@usa.net>

| 1: In the FAQ, section 3.4
| <http://www.us.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-3.html#ss3.4> states that one
| should partition a 1.6 GB hard disk with the following partitions:
| "
| •30 MBytes for the root directory (/)
| •450 MBytes for /usr
| •50 MBytes for swap space
| •1000 MBytes for home directories (some of this could be used for
| /usr/local/)
| •0 MBytes for /tmp; make /tmp a symbolic link to /var/tmp
| •40 MBytes for /var "
|
| Pardon my ignorance, or mayhaps it's the ambiguity of the whole section,
| but does this mean I need five separate partitions on the single disk, or
| (more likely, methinks) does it mean that the single partition consists of
| 1570 MBytes?  Any clarification would be most appreciated.

No, you do not _need_ five partitions. Two partitions will do just
fine (one for swap and one for linux). The idea of many partitions
is mainly for security (if one partition crashes, it needn't affect
the others). For a beginner it might be just as easy to go with two
partitions (you don't have to have a swap partition, but it's nice).

BTW: These sizes add up to more than 1.6 GB. :-)

| Also, seeing as how I _am_ new to the idea, I would very much like to
| perform a dual boot between Win95/MS-DOS, and Debian/GNU Linux operating
| systems.  Seems like somewhere in the dark recesses of the PC World
| archives there's a miniscule article about dual-booting between 2 or more
| OSes, but I've since lost/given away the issue, and I'd like to hear it
| from a user more experienced than myself in the area.

There are several ways to do this. One option is to use as program
called loadlin. It allows you to load linux from dos, so you don't
have to mess with boot-sectors. Just boot as usual to dos and run
loadlin from there.

Another way is to use lilo. Lilo installs a boot-block that allows
you to choose between linux and win/dos when you boot.

--
Ole