Partitioning/Dual Booting

I'm a newby to the whole Linux/GNU/Debian system, being a long-time MS
devotee, and although I am very close to being sold on getting it, I have a
couple of questions to clear up first.

1: In the FAQ, section 3.4
<http://www.us.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-3.html#ss3.4> states that one
should partition a 1.6 GB hard disk with the following partitions:
"
?30 MBytes for the root directory (/)
?450 MBytes for /usr
?50 MBytes for swap space
?1000 MBytes for home directories (some of this could be used for
/usr/local/)
?0 MBytes for /tmp; make /tmp a symbolic link to /var/tmp
?40 MBytes for /var "

Pardon my ignorance, or mayhaps it's the ambiguity of the whole section,
but does this mean I need five separate partitions on the single disk, or
(more likely, methinks) does it mean that the single partition consists of
1570 MBytes?  Any clarification would be most appreciated.

Also, seeing as how I _am_ new to the idea, I would very much like to
perform a dual boot between Win95/MS-DOS, and Debian/GNU Linux operating
systems.  Seems like somewhere in the dark recesses of the PC World
archives there's a miniscule article about dual-booting between 2 or more
OSes, but I've since lost/given away the issue, and I'd like to hear it
from a user more experienced than myself in the area.

Again, help is most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

M. Phillips
wanderer88@usa.net