Re: Re[2]: Two 'gcc's? Yea or Nay?

Hi,

> >   $ ls -l /usr/bin/egcc /usr/bin/gcc
> >   -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        60320 Jun 17 03:04 /usr/bin/egcc*
> >   -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        49460 Jun 15 00:48 /usr/bin/gcc*
>
> Ok, I haven't posted a BIG DUMMY question in quite some time; I'm overdue!
>
> SO: what's the significance of the asterisks next to those two lines above?

Heh, good question!  :)

The asterisk after the filename indicates that it is an executable file.
Similarly a directory would have a "/" after it.  This type of output is
caused by doing a "ls -F."  Debian sets up the following aliases:

	unalias ls
	alias   ls      'ls-F -C'

It seems that "ls-F" (no space after ls) is a shell built-in command.  As
stated above, shells that don't have this built-in command can simply use
"ls -F" (with a space after ls) to produce the desired output.
Incidentally, here is an excerpt from the ls man page:

       -F, --classify
              Append a character to each file name indicating the
              file type.  For regular files that are  executable,
              append a `*'.  The file type indicators are `/' for
              directories, `@' for symbolic links, `|' for FIFOs,
              `=' for sockets, and nothing for regular files.

-Ossama