Re: Two 'gcc's? Yea or Nay?

Read the FAQ for egcs, it describes how to install and still have gcc.
Don't worry, I had a simular but unlrelated FAQ reading problem with
egcs
recently too... :)

Here's what I did (Still read the FAQ to make sure the gist is
right)....

configure egcs like so:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/egcs

when you install, this will make a directory egcs in /usr/local.

then I went into /usr/local/bin and symlinked the binaries so I could
have
both gcc and egcc (what I called the symlink for egcs's version of gcc).

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s /usr/local/egcs/bin/gcc egcc
ln -s /usr/local/egcs/bin/g++ eg++
ln -s /usr/local/egcs/bin/c++ egc++
ln -s /usr/local/egcs/bin/g77 eg77

That's it, it seems to work for me.

Anybody out there see any caveats in my technique?