Re[2]: Two 'gcc's? Yea or Nay?

Christopher Fury <cfury@bev.net> wrote:

> Don't worry, I had a simular but unlrelated FAQ reading problem with
> egcs recently too... :)

Hmmm...sort of a new public mental health issue, huh? We could call it
FAQophobia or something equally pithy! Start a movement to defend the rights
of FAQ-literacy-challenged minority group, and nominate ourselves its founding
members. <g>

> configure egcs like so:
>
> ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/egcs
>
> when you install, this will make a directory egcs in /usr/local.
>
> then I went into /usr/local/bin and symlinked the binaries so I could
> have both gcc and egcc (what I called the symlink for egcs's version of
> gcc).

This appears to be an excellent tactic; it's too bad that in typical
bull-in-china-shop fashion I just barged into the compile using the default
/usr/local prefix! When will I learn patience? <g> Oh well, I'll just do it
over as I've done over so many other things!

Thanks!

Bob Bernstein      bernie@brainiac.com       http://www.brainiac.com/bernie
at
Esmond, R.I.       ftp://rupturedduck.dyn.ml.org  (sometimes)