mail woes after reinstall

ARGH!!!

Yesterday mornign, I let unstable update itself.  Once more, the mail was clobhered.

Since I had an hour or two, and there were odd things about the disk, i decided
it woudl be a good time to wipe the disk.

Eventually, I figured out that most of my troubles comes from my maxtor 8.4 not liking
an 83 bus speed at all.  I"d known that it didn't like it with dma3, but life became
easier.

Stil, though, I don't have mail runnign again.  I couldn't get smail working for the life
of me.  (I'm sorry about the line breaks; i'm doing this from the command
line over telnet).  I managed to get sendmail partway, but not completely,
working.  It will send to the machine itself, but not offsite, and won't receive
mail from offsite.  I've tried with & without the null host (mailhub@iastate.edu).

I'm stumped

I'd appreciate a cc to this adress (rhawkins@iastate.edu); i'm still not clear on what's
going where, even though I think this adress will receive the digest.

rick