Newbie stymied by installation ... twice! (1.3 _and_ 2.0)

I'd really like to use Debian, but the installation's getting the better
of me. I've made two failed attempts. I'll describe them both, because
I'll pursue whichever one is most promising.

1. Installed Debian 1.3, but couldn't get network going. First I had
trouble installing the driver because the card (Intel Etherexpress
Pro/10) was not at a polled location, then because no entry for the
module was placed in /etc/modules. Eventually I had the card recognized
and no error messages, but still unable to ping or telnet.

Then I saw the news about 2.0. It looked easier to do another install
than to get networking going and then upgrade, so I ...

2. Wiped the 1.3 installation and installed 2.0, but still no network.
This time because during installation there was no driver offered for my
Ethernet card. I tried the Etherexpress driver without any luck.

So, is there an _easy_ way to get a driver for the Etherexpress Pro on
to my machine and install it, or should I redo the 1.3 install, try to
get networking going, and then upgrade to 2.0?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Dr. Tim Topper, Arts and Science, Yukon College
Box 2799, Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Y1A 5K4