fvwm2/xterm/bash/(child process) problem

Say I run a process in the background from an xterm. For example,

	emacs &

Then, if I kill the xterm by clicking on the X in the right, top corner,
it ALSO kills emacs. On the other hand, if I kill the xterm by typing
`exit' at the command line, the emacs job continues. I want to have the
corner button under fvwm2 act like 'exit' so that I can close the shell
either way. At the moment under fvwm2, the corner button is mapped to
the builtin fvwm2 function "close".

Is there any way to do this? Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Cheers, Colin.