Re: Partitioning/Dual Booting

timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu wrote:
  ><SNIP>
  >> Important!
  >>
  >>   1  After changing /etc/lilo.conf, and especially after changing the
  >>      kernel, you must run /sbin/lilo to update the boot map.
  ><SNIP>
  >        Might I inquire as to what this bootmap stuff is about and why its
  >important? I've built and used kernels 2.0.29,2.0.30,2.0.32,2.0.33 and 2.0.3
      >4 on
  >my machine and never thought of running lilo again, yet everything still wor
      >ks
  >fine.

Answer off the top of my head (so check the details if it matters):

Lilo stores the actual disk address of the kernel in the boot map (this is
run before there is an operating system to interpret the file system). If
you recompile the kernel, it will almost certainly be somewhere different
and you won't be able to boot.  If you build the kernel with `make zlilo'
this is done for you, which is perhaps why you haven't had any problem.
If you use `make zimage', on the other hand, you must run lilo before you
reboot.