Re: zmore & Latex

Dennis Dixon <dixon@dixonadvise.com> writes:

> I am still having trouble with basic text commands.  Doesn't seem like it
> should be that hard.
>
> The following command, for instance:
>
>        zmore Xserver.1x.gz
>
> gives me text with control characters in it.  I'm fairly sure I'm not using
> the right procedure to view these files.
>
> Also, someone suggested using 'zless', but when I run this command I get a
> '/usr/bin/zless: less: command not found' error.

try "eval `lesspipe`" and using plain less.
Xserver.1x.gz seems to be a man page. So either put it in a path were
man finds it (beware of duplicates) or look at man man if there´s an
option to read a man page from another place then /usr/man/wherever.

Last resort is using [gtn]roff -man(doc) Xserver.1x |less for it.

> In regards to a file that I downloaded (xxx.tar.gz), which was supposed to
> be a latex archive file, as mentioned in an earlier post, I unzipped it with:
>               'tar zxvf filename.tar.gz'
>
> Which gave me numerous xx.tex files.  I finally deduced that I can only view
> the .tex files that begin with '/begin/document' or I'll get an 'uncontolled
> character sequence error' or something like that.
>
> I then ran:
>
>       latex guide.tex  (Which has the correct starting text in it)
>
> and got the error message:
>
>       'Can't find file linuxdoc.sty'

There´s a linuxdoc-sgml.sty in sgml-tools and linuxdoc.sty in qweb.

HTH,

Jens
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37

Nothing works better as it is supposed to. (Steven Chu)