zmore & Latex

I am still having trouble with basic text commands.  Doesn't seem like it
should be that hard.

The following command, for instance:

       zmore Xserver.1x.gz

gives me text with control characters in it.  I'm fairly sure I'm not using
the right procedure to view these files.

Also, someone suggested using 'zless', but when I run this command I get a
'/usr/bin/zless: less: command not found' error.

In regards to a file that I downloaded (xxx.tar.gz), which was supposed to
be a latex archive file, as mentioned in an earlier post, I unzipped it with:
              'tar zxvf filename.tar.gz'

Which gave me numerous xx.tex files.  I finally deduced that I can only view
the .tex files that begin with '/begin/document' or I'll get an 'uncontolled
character sequence error' or something like that.

I then ran:

      latex guide.tex  (Which has the correct starting text in it)

and got the error message:

      'Can't find file linuxdoc.sty'

Thinking I needed the library 'tetex-extra_0.4pl6-4.deb' I installed this,
which didn't solve the problem.

Reading simple text files shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks for any help someone might have.
Dennis Dixon
P.O. Box 1896
Fort Bragg, CA  95437