Moving from Ethernet to modem

When I set my system up on Debian, it was connected directly to an ethernet
link, so the entire system is set up to expect connections.  Now, I've
had to move away from my direct connection and I need to close out all
of the systems that rely on that connection being there, like apache and
xntpd.  Which standard programs should I be removing or shutting down?
Eventually, we're planning on setting up a system for ip masquerading and
on-demand ppp dialing by a gateway for the entire apartment, and I don't
want my machine starting or keeping that connection up too much.  Thoughts?

--
Ted Cabeen            http://fnord.rh.uchicago.edu           cabeen@netcom.com
Check Website or finger for PGP Public Key        secabeen@midway.uchicago.edu