Re: Dselect: Is it being redeveloped?

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Rod Troch wrote:

> The real question I pose after all of this dribble is, has Dselect been
> revised or changed with the advent of 1.3.1 or 2.0?

Dselect is a very powerful tool, but is really hard to understand. I went
through more than 5 debian installs before I felt reasonably comfortable
with it.

To address that, a new tools is being developed; it will have interfaces
for both the console and for X, and is supposedly easier to understand;
but it will only be available on debian 2.1. Dselect will continue to be
available to those who want it.

> I think I can get over the changes in how the /etc/rc.d/ startup
> scripts behaviour as compared to Red Hat linux [...]

There's a standard that defines how this stuff should be organised; it's
the sucessor of the FSSTND 1.2, don't remember the name of it (check the
debian web site). Debian up to version 2.0 complies with the FSSTND 1.2;
debian 2.1 will be compliant with the newer standard, and I think that's
closer to the way RedHat does things.

See ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br
That's Internet!

It's all true, and you don't know nothing yet.