Samba: password for mapping network drives

I'm running the nmbd and smbd Samba daemons, and having trouble mapping
a network drive on my windows machine to any of my mounted drives.  I've
tried the following ways of connecting using windows' map utility (i.e.
in explorer):

\\debian\hda#  (where # = appropriate drive partition)
\\debian\usr (or \root, \var, or \usr)

In either case, the map utility prompts me for a password to connect to
these resources.  I've tried the root password, and all the passwords
for individual users, but it always comes back and says, "the password
is incorrect, please try again."  Is there another password that I'm not
aware of that I need to be entering here, or another daemon I'm not yet
running to be able to map a network drive in this way?  The man pages
didn't provide as much help as I wished.

running hamm, 2.0.33 kernel\

Brian

PS:  apologies on posting that ZDnet article earlier.  In the future,
I'll only post the address to such articles (if they're worth it).
Thanks again, everyone for being patient with a newbie.