Re: Samba: password for mapping network drives

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Brian Morgan wrote:
   [snip]

   In either case, the map utility prompts me for a password to connect to
   these resources.  I've tried the root password, and all the passwords
   for individual users, but it always comes back and says, "the password
   is incorrect, please try again."  Is there another password that I'm not
   aware of that I need to be entering here, or another daemon I'm not yet
   running to be able to map a network drive in this way?  The man pages
   didn't provide as much help as I wished.

Two things to check:
1.  Make sure you have a share name in the smb.conf such that the
    filesystem you are attempting to mount is accessible through
    samba.  There are various examples in the default smb.conf
    already.
2.  Make sure your smb password is up-to-date by running
    'smbpasswd <username>'.  This won't be needed when PAM support is
    readded to samba.  See /usr/doc/samba/README.debian for further
    details.

There is extensive information in /usr/doc/samba that is not provided
in the manpages.  Hope this helps!

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>             |  phone: 353.4844
Network Admin, College of Engineering, MSU |  pager: 222.5875