Re: Kernel-source dependence

Ian Eure wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 08:58:26AM -0500, Jim Crumley wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you think there is a dependence on bin86 missing for the kernel-source
> > > package?
> > >
> > >I was unable to compile the kernel for some thing and sent time digging at all
> > > places before I discover I did not install the bin86 package.
> > >
> > >Why wan't bin86 installed? Well I tried to trim the system, leaving out package> that don't sound familiar hoping the dependence checking would warn me.
> > >
> > > Jieyao  <jieyao@letterbox.com>  ICQ 836655
> > >

> > I ran in to the same problem a couple of months ago.  The reason there isn't
> > a dependence on bin86 is because only i386 machines need bin86. The kernel
> > packages themselves are architecture independent, so there was no easy way
> > to specify the dependence on bin86.
> >
> > The way around this problem is to read the documentation that comes with
> > the kernel related packages.  The need for bin86 is pointed out there. I
> > am guessing that you (like me) missed those references.
> Perhaps bin86 should be recommended by kernel-source?

	I think there should be a requirement to mention these kinds of unusual
dependencies in the description seen in dselect (and eventually apt).  bin86
is mentioned in the kernel-source-xxx descriptions.  Another example: the
configure script that comes with fetchmail is written in python.  There is
no mention of this dependency anywhere.  Fetchmail itself doesn't require
python, but it isn't obvious from running the config script that it needs
python (it just says file missing).  Not untill you guess that the config
script really is a script and load it into an editor/viewer and look at it
do you see the problem.

--
Ed