Re: Kernel-source dependence

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 08:58:26AM -0500, Jim Crumley wrote:

> > Do you think there is a dependence on bin86 missing for the kernel-source
> > package?
> >
> >I was unable to compile the kernel for some thing and sent time digging at all
> > places before I discover I did not install the bin86 package.
> >
> >Why wan't bin86 installed? Well I tried to trim the system, leaving out package> that don't sound familiar hoping the dependence checking would warn me.
> >
> > Jieyao  <jieyao@letterbox.com>  ICQ 836655
> >

> I ran in to the same problem a couple of months ago.  The reason there isn't
> a dependence on bin86 is because only i386 machines need bin86. The kernel
> packages themselves are architecture independent, so there was no easy way
> to specify the dependence on bin86.
>
> The way around this problem is to read the documentation that comes with
> the kernel related packages.  The need for bin86 is pointed out there. I
> am guessing that you (like me) missed those references.
Perhaps bin86 should be recommended by kernel-source?

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :