Re: How to install Debian?

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 09:46:28PM +0200, Stef Hoesli Wiederwald wrote:
> Our Mailserver runs with Slackware. I want to change to Debian. The
> problem is the following: There is no CD-ROM, no floppy disk and no
> DOS installed. How can I install Debian from an existing ext2fs
> partition. In Installing Debian Linux 2.0 it says to make a floppy if
> I want to do this, hmmm....
Interesting. Since the system has to go down for the change, you might want to
rip the case open and pop a floppy in there for the first bit of the install,
then take it out again...

If that isn't an option, you _might_ be able to juggle your partitions around
in the right way and pull it off... The only think I can suggest is to hack
your lilo.conf to load the debian kernel, initrd and rootdisk from your
existing slackware partition, and then... something. Because debian wants to
partition/format it's drives before it needs other stuff you'd have to put on
the drive. If you have anough RAM, you might want to turn your swap partition
into an ext2fs, drop the debian rescue & drivers disk images on it, hack your
bootloader, then reformat all your partitions _except_ the swap, install your
ethernet card driver from the drivers disk on the old swap partition and install
the base package over your 'net connection. But, since I just came up with that,
you might not. :) Theoretically, it should work, but ymmv.

> Anybody done this before?
I don't think anyone else is nearly psychotic enough. ;)

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :