Re: How to clear screen before login prompt

Brandon Mitchell wrote:
  >On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Jieyao wrote:
  >
  >> I was trying to do a clear screen after I logout from the console before t
      >he login
  >> prompt appears.
  >
  >A better twist on all the clear suggestions that are shell specific:
  >
  >$ clear >new.issue
  >$ edit new.issue # whatever editor you want
  >$ mv new.issue /etc/issue

This solution works by capturing the clearscreen escape sequence to new.issue.
Therefore it will not work for anyone using a different terminal type; it
could even hang their terminals (Wyse 50 terminals could easily get hung by
being sent unrecognised sequences).

Using the clear command ensures that the sequence sent is correct for the
current terminal type.