Making directories writable recursively for user account.

Hi,

I have a 1 GB ext2 partition I made that I mount as /pub where I like to
keep tarballs and debs of software I download, so I have a pretty
complete /pub/debian/... tree etc. Lately I've been downloading lots of
software and the tarballs and debs usually just get downloaded to
/home/cbarry because I don't have write permissions elsewhere and when
there gets to be a lot of different debs in /home/cbarry and it comes
time to put them in there proper place in /pub/debian it gets to be a
real pain finding out where each one goes by zgreping Contents-i386.gz
so I figure I should just make /pub/debian and all subdirectories
writable from my user account and download them to the proper location
in the first place but how would I go about making all those directories
writable for my account?

Thanks,
Chris