Problems with DOS and free disk space.

I have recently installed Linux on my machine, and I am having only one
prblem so far...

I've checked in the FAQ, and How-to's but can't seem to find the answers I
need.

After I installed Linux and rebooted in dos when I did a DIR, dos reported
that I have more space on the disk than is available in the partition.

I have a 1.01Gig hard disk that is partitioned as follows:

500MB DOS - first partition.
500MB Linux - second partition
39MB Linux Swap - Third partition

DIR in dos reports 639 MB free, scandisk and chkdsk also claim the entire
drive is accessable in dos.

I'm using MS-DOS 6.22 and the Ontrack Disk Manager V7.0

Has anyone else had this problem?  Or could anyone explain what is going on
here?  And further still, how do I fix this!?    I'm afraid to install
anything in dos incase it overwrites part of Linux.

James.