Re: your mail

hello ttyS1 is comm2 ttyS0 is comm1.  this should take care of the problem
hope this helps.
Paul

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Michelle Coelho wrote:

Hi , I'm the person whose mail you'd replied to regarding whether I'd have problems
with my mouse since it wasn't plugged in at the time  of installing Linux...
Anyway now, I'm having problems with my modem. As you advised me, I bought a
56k External modem. It's a Cardinal Connecta V.34. I plugged it into the serial 1 port
of my PC. Since the mouse is in the mouse port, which I assume is ttyS0, I configured
the modem for ttyS1. I answered all the questions as asked by pppconfig to the best of
my knowledge. Then I  quit the program having wrote all the files. At the command
prompt, I ran 'pon provider' as I have just one ISP. I immediately got the next
command prompt...so I did 'telnet' and it didn't work. Then I did 'ps' and it showed the
following:
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
105  1       S        0.01        -bash
106  2       S        0.00        /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
107  3       S        0.00        /sbin/getty 38400 tty3
108  4       S        0.00        /sbin/getty 38400 tty4
109  5       S       0.00        /sbin/getty 38400 tty5
110  6       S       0.00        /sbin/getty 38400 tty6
129  S1     S       0.00       /usr/sbin/ppd call provider
130  S1     S       0.00       /usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider
131  1       R       0.00      ps

Then I entered 'poff' at the command line, and then 'ps' again and this time the 7th
and 8th lines from above were not there.
I dunno, should I have waited.....But I didn't here any 'screeching' sound from my
modem..nor did I see any wild characters on my screen..
Could somebody out there please give me a step by step approch to how I should do
things from the time I connect my modem thru' a 25 pin connector to the computer,
connect the line from my telephone to the 'phone' input of my modem, connect the
line supplied with my modem to the main telephone jack on one end and the 'line'
input of the modem on the other till the time I can issue the command 'telnet
134.68.140.1' and can safely log on to my system at school...

Here's my system's configuration:
486
ISA bus
IDE controller
120 MB HD
16MB Ram

I don't see if any of this will be of use, but I've given it just incase. I wanted to buy a
56k internal, but many people advised me against it saying that it wouldn't work on
my 486. So I bought a 33.6K internal modem..Do you think I should use an internal
modem instead of the external one..My ISP provides 56k speed. Also my ISP
provides PAP (I think ) since almost everyone who connects to it uses Windows 95 or
higher. Also, the modem came with some installation floppies for Windows (but,
then, what doesn't, nowadays??!), but this is not a Winmodem..at least it doesn't call
itself that. Will I have to write some chatscript or something???

If possible, please explain things to me in as much layman's language as you can...A
prompt reply would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you so much.