Re:

At 01:29 PM 1/26/1999 -0500, Michelle Coelho wrote:

> Hi , I'm the person whose mail you'd replied to regarding whether I'd have
> problems
> with my mouse since it wasn't plugged in at the time  of installing Linux...
> Anyway now, I'm having problems with my modem. As you advised me, I bought a
> 56k External modem. It's a Cardinal Connecta V.34. I plugged it into the
> serial 1 port
> of my PC. Since the mouse is in the mouse port, which I assume is ttyS0, I
> configured
> the modem for ttyS1. I answered all the questions as asked by pppconfig to
> the best of
> my knowledge. Then I  quit the program having wrote all the files. At the
> command

As a general rule, a mouse port is /dev/aux, and the serial ports would be
/dev/ttyS0 (COM1 in the DOS/Win world) and /dev/ttyS1 (COM2).

As a test, you can type
 echo ATDT[some_phone_number] > /dev/ttyS[0-3]
If you hear the modem dialing out, you've found the correct ttyS number. Then
you can type
 echo ATZ > /dev/ttyS[whichever_number] to hang up the modem.

Now configure your /etc/ppp/peers/provider file accordingly, and you should be
able to dial out.

<snip>

I don't see if any of this will be of use, but I've given it just incase. I
wanted to buy a

> 56k internal, but many people advised me against it saying that it wouldn't
> work on
> my 486. So I bought a 33.6K internal modem..Do you think I should use an
> internal
> modem instead of the external one..My ISP provides 56k speed. Also my ISP
> provides PAP (I think ) since almost everyone who connects to it uses Windows
> 95 or
> higher. Also, the modem came with some installation floppies for Windows
> (but,
> then, what doesn't, nowadays??!), but this is not a Winmodem..at least it
> doesn't call
> itself that. Will I have to write some chatscript or something???

So you have two modems? They might concievably be conflicting with each other,
if they're both configured to the same port/irg/etc. I'd use whichever gives
the best response (probably the external 56K, but not necessarily if your 486
has the slower UART chips on the COM card).