Re: Selective install using apt-method in dselect

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Rafael Kitover wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 10:37:31PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> > I've got 200+ MB of files selected in dselect for
> > download/installation, and I'm using the apt method. dselect
> > tells me that my /var/[something] doesn't have enough space free
> > and aborts. IIRC, the ftp method in such a situation allowed you
> > to do a selective install at that point; am I missing something
> > or is the apt method missing this feature?
>
> It sure is. Also, you might have some stuff cached and taking up disk
> space, run apt-get clean. Also check out the "cruft" package.

Wow, seems like a major oversight. Even though I'm not a programmer
(yet :-) ) and therefore can't fix it myself, it's nice to know that any
programmer COULD take it upon himself to fix it, unlike that commercial
software.

So, is there a text file somewhere that dselect uses as a reference that I
could edit to temporarily pare down the selections rather than go into
dselect/Select and really mess things up?

Thanks.

 --
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu