RE: DSelect and ftp

When Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven wrote, I replied:

Try the command

man minicom

to learn about the minicom program for manipulating your modem.  I don't
have personal experience with it, (when I need to do these things, I
write
a perl script or something to gain access to the port/modem) but I've
seen messages to this list which have been enthusiastic about minicom.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I have installed the linux base only (from floppy disks) and I don't think man and minicom are part of the base. I would like to install other packages via ftp, but I have to configure the modem first. So could you please explain a different way to configure my modem.

TIA,

Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven