Re: Documentation suggestion (was Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows)

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 10:24:29AM +0100, Holger Schauer wrote:

>  MB> <everything>->HTML conversion seems to be the most likely route
>  MB> for those that want a standard interface at present.

> I am strongly against having a _single_ interface to
> documentation. Diversity is a good thing, IMHO, especially in this
> case.

As am I.

> IMO man pages serve as a quick thorough overview and should be as
> compact as possible. Info pages serve IMO a different need: they
> should provide detailed information, perhaps for some more obscure or
> advanced features. If _then_ somebody wants an html-interface, fine,
> let him have a converter from man2html, texi2html, and perhaps
> a2html. Sounds familiar ?

That's roughly what the dwww does and what is being suggested - I don't
imagine that anyone wants HTML access only, as it tends to loose a lot
of the information in the original formats.  Personally I find it to be
the worst format out there for documentation, but perhaps that's just
me.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/