Re: ICQ programs for Debian GNU/Linux

> Hi!

> "Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella" <zorzella@iname.com> wrote:

> > I'd like to know what are the good packages for
> > ICQ people use in Debian.

> Timothy Hospedales <timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu> wrote:

> >         I have tried most of the ICQ clones
> > available and I find that micq is the most stable!

> Perhaps, but I have micq Version 0.3.1 and it lacks
> chat support.  I don't know if any newer version
> has.

> add|ct|on <slaythe@innocent.com> wrote:

> > personally i prefer either kxicq

> Is it an ICQ clone for KDE?

> > or licq (for x, anyway). i've had no problems
> > with either losing messages or userlist entrieson
> > me....yet.

> I also have LICQ version 0.43, and I loss messages
> that comes from email (You know that anybody can
> send an email to an ICQ user at
> <uin>@pager.mirabilis.com).  Perhaps a newer version
> has fixed it.  Does anybody know?

I think it is related to the fact that e-mail messages requires the v5
protocol, which licq doesn't implement yet. (I don't use licq anymore,
I may be wrong) This is because e-mail messages can be longer than the
pre-v5 characters limit. Anyone caring more than I =) about licq is
welcomed to investigate and report to the maintainer.

> With LICQ you have chat, and you can see the colors,
> but you aren't able to colour the screen you are
> typing it.  But I don't mind.

GnomeICU is doing most what ICQ98 was doing on windows. Chat (no more
than 2 though, but that's the next update I think), File Transfert
(alpha state. Works but crashed the client afterwise. (GnomeICU
v0.64)) messages, UINs (beta state, has some troubles with v5
clients).

>From past personnal experience, I'd say gnomeICU and licq are the two
most advanced ICQ clients for linux, and ICQ-Java the most 'stable'
and feature-full. (Mark that stable with a great grain of salt)

Christian Lavoie
clavoie@enter-net.com
UIN: 947212