Re: Death of a 2nd WD hard drive

Sounds like you got a bad batch of drives.  I've used Western Digital drives
in 4 Linux boxes I've put together.  All machines run 24/7.  My own primary
home machine has been running Linux 24/7 for the last 4 years.  The only
problem I had was last month when a WD 1.6 GB drive died a sudden and very
noisy death--with only one month left on the warranty.  (Guess if it had to
go, that was the best time for it to die. :-)

Given all the Linux installations around the world, *if* Linux could kill
hard drive hardware, we would have discovered it long ago.  (And it would
have been fixed *very* quickly.  Note how quickly, Alan Cox found and fixed
the remote crash bug in the kernel.)

            bob
--
        bob billson       email: bob@goleader.com       ham: kc2wz