Re: ipautofw not working

	Subject: Re: ipautofw not working
	Date: Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 11:08:03AM -0700

Quoting George Bonser(grep@shorelink.com):
> On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> > > To make it clear, I can use ipfwadm ok, but I can't use ipautofw.
> > >
> > > Any clue?
> > >

> > Clue #1 is to look for the information on your system 'first'!
> >
> > "From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes"
> >    As of 2.1.102, the IP firewalling code has been replaced; ipfwadm
> > will no longer work.  You need to obtain "ipchains," available from
> > http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/ , and use that instead of
> > ipfwadm.
> >
> >    To use masq forwarding you will need to obtain "ipmasqadm,"
> > available from http://juanjox.linuxhq.com/ .
> >

> Except that the person is not talking about having problems masquerading,
> the problem seems to be port forwarding.

 Thank you for pointing that out George.  I was aware of that.
>From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help
CONFIG_IP_ROUTER
  Some Linux network drivers use a technique called copy and checksum
  to optimize host performance. For a machine which acts as a router
  most of the time and is forwarding most packets to another host this
  is however a loss. If you say Y here, copy and checksum will be
  switched off. In the future, it may make other changes which
  optimize for router operation.

  Note that your box can only act as a router if you enable IP
  forwarding in your kernel; you can do that by saying Y to "/proc
  filesystem support" and "Sysctl support" below and executing the
  line

  at boot time after the /proc filesystem has been mounted. You can do
  that even if you say N here.

  If unsure, say N here.

IP: firewalling
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL
  If you want to configure your Linux box as a packet filter firewall
  for a local TCP/IP based network, say Y here. You may want to read
  the FIREWALL-HOWTO, available via FTP (user: anonymous) in
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.

  Also, you will need the ipchains tool (available on the WWW at
  http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/) to allow selective blocking
  of Internet traffic based on type, origin and destination.
  Note that the Linux firewall code has changed and the old program
  called ipfwadm won't work anymore. Please read the IPCHAINS-HOWTO.

  The type of firewall provided by ipchains and this kernel support is
  called a "packet filter". The other type of firewall, a
  "proxy-based" one, is more secure but more intrusive and more
  bothersome to set up; it inspects the network traffic much more
  closely, modifies it and has knowledge about the higher level
  protocols, which a packet filter lacks. Moreover, proxy-based
  firewalls often require changes to the programs running on the local
  clients. Proxy-based firewalls don't need support by the kernel, but
  they are often combined with a packet filter, which only works if
  you say Y here.

  The firewalling code will only work if IP forwarding is enabled in
  your kernel. You can do that by saying Y to "/proc filesystem
  support" and "Sysctl support" below and executing the line

  at boot time after the /proc filesystem has been mounted.

>From proc.txt
ip_forward
   Enable or disable forwarding of IP packages between interfaces. A
   change of this value resets all other parameters to their default
   values. They differ if the kernel is configured as host or router.

As the original post was rather vague I opted to point to writer to a
reliable source for the answers.  As IPchains is required in the 2.2.x
kernels, I thought that the info he required would be found there.

Sorry if I didn't give the answer you thought I should.  I personally
feel it is better for the newbie if I point him to the information,
rather then read it all for him.  "Teach a man to fish" and all that.

Where should I have sent him?  No one else ha offered any help when
I 'tried' to.

Regards
Wayne
--
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.