Re: PCI modem

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:11:32 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:
>[snip]
>> there are several PCI modems usable under linux, i believe.
>> Find below how to do it
>>
>>            ***INSTALLATION OF V90 PCI LUCENT VENUS BASED MODEM***
>>
>[snip]
>
>I am delighted to have this information.
>
>Would you please name other PCI modems that can be made usable
>under Linux? I have been told that only Multitech has a PCI modem
>that is not a WinModem, (i.e., a modem where the details of
>critical functionality are kept propriatary.)

Is this REALLY true?   A communication saleman engineer from
Lucent told me that, even though there's a license agreement that
you have to sign, it's not overly restrictive and there's actually no
license fees involved for just getting the hardware programming
information.
What is protected is the modem s/w written by Lucent and various
protocol technology it implements(V.90 etc).  He thinks cleanroom
implementation is possible, even though it won't be an easy task.