Re: Thanks

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:14:35 -0500 Jesse Jacobsen <jjacobsen@jvlnet.com>
writes:
>On 07/05/99 at 18:53:51, maxalbert@juno.com wrote concerning "Thanks":
>>      After running setserial and wvdial, disabling PnP, and many
>other
>> efforts, I finally, to overcome the system's refusal to detect my
>modem
>> (Diamond Supra 288i SP), attempted to re-install (grasping at
>straws),
>> but now it tells me "there was a problem" extracting the base system
>> files from the CD-rom, so re-installation has failed and I have
>nothing
>> for weeks of effort.-- Max
>

>The good news is that the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO doesn't
>list a modem by that description as being incompatible with Linux.
>Now
>you just have to take a deep breath and write a detailed report to
>this
>list of what you've tried.  Here are some things to look at or
>include:
>
>- Does the modem work in Windows?  If so, does Windows give you
>  information about modem settings (IRQ, etc?)
>- What makes you think your modem is not recognized?
>- What happens when you try to run minicom, configured to use your
>  modem's serial device?
>- Have you taken into account that the DOS ports COM1, COM2, COM3, and
>  COM4 correspond to the Linux devices ttyS0, ttyS1, ttyS2, and ttyS3
>  respectively?
>
>For the next time you get frustrated, consider this:  it's a pretty
>good
>guess that most of the people on this list haven't been forced to
>reinstall Debian ever.   On top of that, most probably haven't done a
>fresh install for so long that it actually takes an effort to remember
>what it was like!  In contrast, I recall reinstalling Windows several
>times each year.  Or at least making _major_ repairs.
>
>I don't know if it's possible to _master_ the intricacies of Debian.
>It's just too big!  But to me, that's something to like about it.  You
>never run out of things you can learn.
>
>HTH,
>
>Jesse
>
>--
>Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          jjacobsen@jvlnet.com
>Grace Lutheran Church (ELS)     http://www.jvlnet.com/~jjacobsen/
>Madison, Wisconsin              GnuPG public key ID: 2E3EBF13

Jesse-- Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the modem does run on Windows (Com2,
IRQ 3), and setserial -a informed me that ttyS1 is set up with IRQ 3, as
well, and UART 16450.  When I ran wvdial.conf, it told me no modem is
detected, and similarly, attempts to activate the modem manually (AT or
ATZ) also failed.  Dmesg said ttyS1 is configured, but listed no modem as
present.  I tried editing 0setserial-- no change. I tried minicom, but
the program wouldn't run.
      I use the past tense here, because my desperation attempt to
re-install Debian failed halfway through, leaving me without a system to
experiment on.  Every time I get as far as installing the Base System, it
tells me I have a file error in extracting files from the CD-ROM.  End Of
Installation Procedure.
     Have you ever heard such a pathetic tale?  If anyone can tell me
what to do now, I'd gladly be exposed as a clueless boob.-- Max