Re: Thanks

On 07/05/99 at 20:55:00, maxalbert@juno.com wrote concerning "Re: Thanks":
> Jesse-- Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the modem does run on Windows (Com2,
> IRQ 3), and setserial -a informed me that ttyS1 is set up with IRQ 3, as
> well, and UART 16450.  When I ran wvdial.conf, it told me no modem is
> detected, and similarly, attempts to activate the modem manually (AT or
> ATZ) also failed.  Dmesg said ttyS1 is configured, but listed no modem as
> present.  I tried editing 0setserial-- no change. I tried minicom, but
> the program wouldn't run.
>       I use the past tense here, because my desperation attempt to
> re-install Debian failed halfway through, leaving me without a system to
> experiment on.  Every time I get as far as installing the Base System, it
> tells me I have a file error in extracting files from the CD-ROM.  End Of
> Installation Procedure.
>      Have you ever heard such a pathetic tale?  If anyone can tell me
> what to do now, I'd gladly be exposed as a clueless boob.-- Max

I think I may have had this same problem before due to my own lack of
noticing how the CD-ROM was set up.  If you can give some more detail,
someone can probably help you.

OK, so you're booting with the rescue floppy and running the install
program.  You successfully set up the keyboard, partition your HD,
format the partitions, and mount them... right?  Then when you go to
install the Base System it asks you what medium to use, and you say
"CD-ROM."  It asks where to find the CD-ROM.  I suspect that your answer
to this question is where the problem is.  Could you post what answers
you gave to these last two questions, and a description of your CD-ROM,
and what controller/channel it's connected to in the computer?

If you're quick at reading moving text, you might be able to see a
CD-ROM message fly by when the rescue floppy is booting the kernel.  It
should describe where it found the CD-ROM (I think).

Note that my description of the install process is entirely from
my own volatile memory, and probably from a Debian version you're not
using.

Jesse

--
Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          jjacobsen@jvlnet.com