Re: Managing a hybrid slink/potato Debian installation

Sami Dalouche wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 07:19:02PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > Is there a way to say apt that the system should be slink except for some
> > packages (eg. wmaker, x11amp, gnome, wine) that should come from potato, so
> > that I can safely issue an apt-get upgrade without being asked to download
> > 63.1Mb of packages?
>
> I don't know but it's a bad idea !
> Wmaker, X11amp, gnome & wine depends on glibc2.1. So, if you install one of
> these packages, you'll get the libc6_2.1 package. In other words, if you
> have the glibc2.1, you can upgrade to potato. It's as unstable as a slink
> with glibc2.1.
>
> Can any1 tell us more ?
Although I have not actually tried this. I believe that it is possible
to have apt use any debian source codes as the source and do all three
processes of downoading, compiling, and installing to your system. If
you do this properly it should allow you to install any debian
applications sources to your system by recompiling to the slink
dependencies. If there is anyone out there who has done this please
speak out.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems