Re: hda: lost interrupt

Achim Bohnet <ach@ooops.xray.mpe.mpg.de> wrote about:

|> hda: lost interrupt
|> hda: read_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }

I've had this error-message repeatedly over the years on a laptop that
I first got early in 1995. Then it ran Slackware with a 1.2.0 kernel;
now it runs debian (slink) with a 2.0.34 or 2.0.36 kernel.

I've asked what the message means on a number of newsgroups and
mailing lists over the years, and I've seen others ask about it many
times in this and in other places. But I've never seen a definitive
answer.

When I first asked about it, the commonest response I got was along
the lines of: `The disk is buggered and will fail completely very
soon.'  But that was 4 years ago, and the laptop still works fine.

Still puzzled,

Jim