RE: boot from hd (was RE: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?)

You were right.  I get another menu:
1234F:

When I looked around the corner at the PC front, I saw the floppy light come
on when I pressed F during either the 1FA: or 1234F: prompt.  I put a floppy
in and pressed F and it is now booting.

I am assuming this means there is no boot record on the HD since 1,2,3 and 4
don't work ...

I guess I'll try LILO tonight.

thanks
paul