Re: Block stupid/annoying sites

> > On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 10:26:28PM +0200, andreas palsson wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I am using Debian GNU/Linux as a nameserver, and I wonder how do I
> > > modify it to reject all lookups for stupid sites like
> > > "ad.doubleclick.net" or any other annoying banner-site?
> > > I've been told to use something called "junkbuster" but I rather not run
> > > anything extra on the host, I simply would like to change something in
> > > the bind-configuration.
> > >
> > > Anyone got an idea?

This thread has been going on for a few days, and noone seems to have said
very much about junkbuster.

I use junkbuster at home to block adverts (with great success) for two reasons:
1) I am offended by the overly commercial nature of much of the web, when it
   is piggybacking off the work and time that others have put in for free.
2) It saves on download time.

Basically any url specification (this can include eg ads.*.com, or any
directory on a site called ads etc.) can be blocked, and optionally replaced
with either a 1x1 transparent gif, or a gif that says junkbuster.

It works very well for me. After having to add about 10 or 20 specifications
to the blockfile (examples of which can be found on the web anyway) when I
first installed it, I now do not see adverts on any of the sites I visit
regularly, and a greatly reduced number on other sites as well.

Junkbuster can also stop your web browser sending out your email address,
and can block cookies in either direction.

I recommend that everybody install junkbuster for privacy reasons, apart
from anything else.

frankie