Re: Another try - help to fix arrow keys in X

Brian Servis wrote:

> *- On  3 Sep, Kent West wrote about "Re: Another try - help to fix arrow keys in X"
> > Brian Servis wrote:
> >
> >   <snip about some keys not working in X>
> >
> >> So it looks like your keymap is all messed up.  Are you running xmodmap
> >> or anything at the start of your xsession?  Try using xev again and
> >> walking through all your keys, maybe you will see a pattern. You could
> >> also try using xkeycaps for the same purpose.
> >>

> > Key   Keycode     according to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86
> > ---   -------     ----------------------------------------------------
> > Up    111                         98
> > Down  116                         104
> > Left  113                         100
> > Right 114                         102
> > Ins   118                         106
> > Del   119                         107
> > Home  110                          97
> > End   115                         103
> > PgUp  112                          99
> > PgDn  117                         105
> > PrtScrn       107                 111
> > SrlLck         78                  78
> > Pause 127                         110
> > NumLck         77                  77
> > /     106                         112
> [snip]
> > Enter 104                         108
> >
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                              This is what I have on my system.
>
> If you are not modifying the defaults in any way as you stated then I
> can only guess that your keycodes/xfree86 file is corrupt in some way.
> I grepped all the files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keycodes for DOWN and
> none showed a keycode of 116 for DOWN.  You might try reinstalling the
> xlib6g package(that contains the keycodes) and see if that fixes it.
>
> Strange,
>
> --
> Brian
> Mechanical Engineering                              servis@purdue.edu
> Purdue University                   http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis

My /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keycodes shows the DOWN key to be 104 also. I
started X with "startx 2>mesg.txt" and then looked in msg.txt and
everything looked fine:
(**) XKB: keycodes: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: types: "default"
(**) XKB: compat: "default"
(**) XKB: symbols: "us(pc101)"
(**) XKB: geometry: "pc"
(**) XKB: model: "pc104"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(**) XKB: keymap: "xfree86(us_microsoft)" (overrides other XKB settings)

Yet I still have no arrow keys, etc. I tried changing the setting that
specified "us_microsoft" to just "us", and I tried commenting out that
line altogether, but it didn't make a difference.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling xlib6g as mentioned, and that made no
difference.

Something I noticed by accident today: In the several Debian boxes that
I've set up, I've never been able to start X as root; I always get a
"Unauthorized to connect to server" type message. However, on this box I
was able to start X with no problem. This may or may not be related.

Also, if it matters, I had to resort to using the Frame Buffer Device
video setup in order to get X to work with my unsupported Rage128 card.
I wouldn't think that would matter, but I don't know.

I've had so many problems getting this machine working I'm about ready
to wipe the drive and start from scratch. I really don't want to do
that, because Linux is not "supposed" to require rebuilds. (Yes, I'm
blowing off steam now....)

Thanks for the suggestions; hopefully someone can provide me a solution
before I wipe the drive.