Dumb package install question

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest proftp with the root patch (I believe) from
debian.  I have it on floppy and can copy the file proftpd_1.2.0pre4-2.deb
to wherever.

Question is how do I install it ?  When I run dselect, it looks for
directories which don't exist on the floppy.  I looked at dpkg and am a
little more confused :O.  Any ideas on installing/configuring individually
downloaded packages ?

Could someone also explain the numbering?  This one is pre4-2.  When I check
www.proftp.org/download.html, it shows pre3 as the latest.  I would assume
pre3 is before pre4.  Are these the equivalent of Major, Minor release
numbers.  I.e. 4-2 is version 4.2?  Did debian patch it and release it under
unstable ?  This would explain why profrp.org doesn't list it yet.

BTW.  I tried apt-get.  This was beautiful to watch it hunt down packages on
it's own.  I would assume it didn't update proftp because it is unstable due
to the recent patch.  It left the currently installed version on the HD.

thanks,

paul