Re: Dumb package install question

Hello paul

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 11:35:13PM -0400, Paul McHale wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the latest proftp with the root patch (I believe) from
> debian.  I have it on floppy and can copy the file proftpd_1.2.0pre4-2.deb
> to wherever.
>
> Question is how do I install it ?  When I run dselect, it looks for
> directories which don't exist on the floppy.  I looked at dpkg and am a
> little more confused :O.  Any ideas on installing/configuring individually
> downloaded packages ?

Well, my apt-get just did the whole silly thing for me, so I can't promise
this will work. However, it is worth suggesting. :)

try this:

# dpkg --install ./proftpd_1.2.0pre4-2.deb

> Could someone also explain the numbering?  This one is pre4-2.  When I check
> www.proftp.org/download.html, it shows pre3 as the latest.  I would assume
> pre3 is before pre4.  Are these the equivalent of Major, Minor release
> numbers.  I.e. 4-2 is version 4.2?  Did debian patch it and release it under
> unstable ?  This would explain why profrp.org doesn't list it yet.

It would not suprise me -- the patch was VERY simple. :) But, no
authoritative answers from me on this. :)

> BTW.  I tried apt-get.  This was beautiful to watch it hunt down packages on
> it's own.  I would assume it didn't update proftp because it is unstable due
> to the recent patch.  It left the currently installed version on the HD.

I too am deeply impressed with apt. apt-get update, apt-get install
<package>, thirty seconds after starting, the package is INSTALLED! No
graphical deal to mess with, no cryptic command lines, nothing goofy. It
just works.

(But, a note -- dselect is sort of nice for scanning through the list of
what I *can* install -- apt is nicer for the "I need this package", dselect
for "what else can I play with..." :)

So, a big thanks to all those who went before me, making debian worth using.

:)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!