Re: xterm-menus not working

On Sun, 1999-09-05 21:50:52 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> Thanks Keith.  That did it.  After changing my .Xdefaults to
> Xterm.vt.geometry in stead of using * the menus are usable.  In which
> documentation did you find that?

Well, actually it wasn't so much the documentation
as the experimentation that helped focus in on what was needed.
After installing X, I immediately customized the xterm
to take advantage of the full screen that was available,
but soon encountered the same problem that you did.
After some abortive attempts to solve the problem,
I backed off to an absolutely minimal X configuration:
just starting X from a console root login with xinit(1),
without an .xinitrc file in root's home directory
(and, of course, without starting xdm).
The resulting spartan xterm, while its geometry was only 80x24,
at least had the virtue that its menus worked as advertised
in xterm's manual page.
So that yielded the insight that there was nothing wrong with
the xterm software or X itself,
but rather something was wrong with the way I had customized things.
Then it was just a matter of trial and error to find the problem,
using mainly the X(1) and xterm(1) man pages for guidance.

I might add, though, that Branden Robinson has been doing a great job
of providing some much needed supplemental documentation in the FAQ's
he's been generating within the debian package.
Another great resource for X is still the X Window System User's Guide
published by O'Reilly. Although it only covers up through Release 5 (1993),
at the user level not a whole lot has changed.
There's really a lot to X!

Keith