Re: ALSA is miserable. (Help?)

Thanks for bearing with me... there's barely anything in the whole package.
If I may...

dpkg -L alsa-modules

/dev
/dev/snd
/usr
/usr/include
/usr/include/asound.h
/usr/include/asoundid.h
/usr/doc
/usr/doc/alsa-modules
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/README
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/README.kernel
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/FAQ
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/TODO
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/WARNING
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/SOUNDCARDS
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/alsa.txt
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-2.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-3.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-4.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-5.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-6.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-7.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-8.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-9.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/html/coding-1.html.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/plan.txt
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/coding.txt.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/changelog.gz
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/copyright
/usr/doc/alsa-modules/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/man
/usr/man/man8
/usr/man/man8/alsaconfig.8.gz
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/menu
/usr/lib/menu/alsa
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/alsaconfig
/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/alsa

There's no code in there to compile, that I can see.  I got excited when I
saw /dev/snd but it doesn't seem to mean anything.  There's no real
installation docs either... it seems like it's all API reference.  I could
personally care less about the API at this point...

What do I need to do to get sound working?  Buy something?  Reinstall?
Red Hat?  SuSE?

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 09:13:07AM +0200, lexchive@iname.com wrote:
> No, I think you're all set. Read the doc in /usr/doc/alsa-modules to compile
> the drivers (the method is different if you're compiling the kernel from
> official sources or from debian package). For my card at least, they were
> quite forward to compile.
>
> > Personally, I'd imagine alsa-modules would have alsa modules in it, but then
> > again, I'm an idealist.
> >

> I must admit I was quite disappointed myself when I did not find any module
> installed after the download ;)
>
> Hope you can get this sound working!

Thanks, I'd love that myself!

--
Jonathan Markevich <debian@markevich.ourfamily.com>
http://members.xoom.com/JMarkevich

Once a woman has given you her heart you can never get rid of the rest of her.
		-- Vanbrugh